Tuesday 6 January 2015

he is Carl

as I slowly walked down The Lanes (the most-visited narrow pathways you can find in Brighton) because of hungry and was in needing of feeding my tummy, 
a guy with this-kind-of-hello-did-we-ever-meet-before-why-is-it-your-face-is-so-familiar-to-me suddenly took my attention when he threw a glance to me and started to "Hello/Hi" at me. 

twice. 

at first, he started with "Hey, ya alright?"
and I was just staring at him, giving him a puzzled-look. oh no. why did he speak to me. did i ever know him personally? 
but I didn't say anything in return to him, but took my look away from his face instead and my eyes continued to focus on scanning the halal restaurant nearby, which was only 2 min-walk from where i stood. 

and again. 
i noticed the-very same guy tried to talk to me, and he also said the-very same thing to me which was "Hey, ya alright?" a littler louder, but of course with his polite tone of his British accent and controlled in a continuous echo. 

but this time around, he made his feet walked towards me and i was like oh great. oh. my. god, what did i ever do to him. did i really ever know him before? 
i remembered he wasn't alone, he was with his friend accompanied him.  

he came closer to my frozen body (because was dreading of recognising him) and i thought i had a severe problem with my brain that it wasn't functioning so well, when i was in need of reminiscing who was he. but by giving a very detailed-look to his face, i slowly started to remember him. heyyyyyyyyy isn't he's my English teacher? awhhh he used to be my tutor, he taught me English. he is one of a man with a good heart and he is so kind to me. he is one person that helped me massively-a lot during my prep times before i entered university. 

he smiled and asked me "don't you remember me, girl?" 

katrina "oh i am indeed really sorry. i really need to apologise to you, what kind of student i am, simply forgotten my teacher." (i felt like tepuk dahi that time but girl, that wasn't cool when you were talking to your teacher so i acted like it was normal and of.course.katrina.how.can.you.say.it.is.normal.but.it.is.actually.not. haih soooo malu) 

he realised i was seeing guilted and he quickly cut off my sentences and said "oh no worries, i guess (he said something here but again. i've forgotten zzz)
but thing was, he said something funny. 
i gigled so hard and he was too. not to forget, his friend too. and oh i forgot to mention, a friend of mine was there too. so the four of us laughed so bad to his funny but spontaneous joke. 

and while he was talking to my friend, there, i talked to myself alone like an inner whisper to my heart,
WAS IT REALLY BECAUSE OF HIS BEARD THAT YOU HAD FORGOTTEN YOUR TEACHER, KATRINA? OR IS IT BECAUSE OF YOU ARE HAVING A SHORT MEMORY. 
Sigh. 

God bless your soul, you wonderful teacher. 

after that, we had a short chitchat about the football teams. spoke to him that I am not the fan of that Liverpool fc eventhough I'm staying in Liverpool and Arsenal is my cup of tea. fair enough, he insisted on saying Liverpool is the best, because he is one of the loyal supporter. haha. memories, lets just remain as you are. i miss him teaching my peers and me in class. also told him that I'm not as happy as i lived in Brighton, when Im in Liverpool now and he was then sorry to me for that. he gave his warm wishes and words to comfort me before we made our own ways. 

we also managed to have some photographs taken together. it was indeed a lovely meet up (or should i say it an unplanned meet-up, by coincidence, obviously). since then, i told myself not to forget his face, his kindness, his heart and his everything. most importantly, his ability to remember me- his student. 

when he left, i struggled so hard to remember his name. that time, i knew i was such a loser (i am a loser right now too), for I still was not able to recall his name. 
oh and slowly. i managed to remember. 

his name is Carl Harrison :) 

i quickly browsed through his name in my email and found 4 emails were stated and attached with his name and documents. i began to draft my email to him and chose the very best picture of us to share with him, and hoped i wont ever forget him anymore.
one was ultimately enough. 

so here is my email to him and also what he replied to me. 

Dearest Carl,

It was so great and lovely to have met you the other day.
Very thoughtful of you for the warm words and the fact that you remembered me, brighten up my day.
I sincerely apologise for having a short memory of recognising you, but now I can proudly say.
You are never to be forgotten. I'll keep the photo of us :)

Thank you, you wonderful teacher. 
Just thank you.
Wish you happy new year(s).
May you have a great day ahead, also many great & amazing days, months, years ahead too.

So here's our picture together.

(inserts our both-smiling-showing-teeth picture together) 

Regards,
Katrina. 

*******

Dear Katrina,

I have just returned to work today, and to find your lovely email in amongst all the other work-related ones was such a treat.

It really made me smile.  It was such a nice surprise to see you again.

I was sorry to hear that you are not enjoying uni life so far. I really hope that changes.

Take care and feel free to contact me whenever you like.

Carl

p/s: this post is made and dedicated to him in English :)

thank you for your thoughts and knowledge that you have given to me, you greatest teacher. may you always be shaded by His mercy always. i hope life offers you all the good things to fall onto your path and may He grant you "health" and "happiness" forever.